Saturday, February 19, 2011

Twinkle Toes

Ella and I went shopping this morning and got her a bunch of new spring clothes and some new pairs of shoes. She had SUCH an opinion about everything, it was really different from our last big trip where I really picked out everything and she was fine with all of it. She loves pink and pretty much wants to wear pink every single day, so we ended up with tons of pink and I snuck in a few other colors when I could.

Ella has told me that she really wants "stomping shoes", as she calls them, she told me they are shoes that light up when you stomp the ground. Her friend from school has them and she has mentioned them to me several times, but I really didn't know what she was talking about (I was picturing LA Lights). So we got to the shoe section and there was a single pair of the most over-decorated shoes I have ever seen, and Ella was immediately drawn to them and yelled "stomping shoes!" These shoes were NOT attractive - they have a jean base and tons of decorations on them, sequins, all kinds of stuff. She loved them though.

Unfortunately there was just one pair, a size 5 (Ella is now up to a size 8). I told her they were not in her size, which went over very poorly, but I said she could try them on and decide what she thought. She squished her feet in there, told me how beautiful they were, and that they felt okay (ha!). Luckily, when I went through the next aisle, I saw there were a few different pairs in that same style, and they had all the different sizes. She said "oh good, these are tiny" about the other ones, and happily put on the size 8s. Then we even found the light-up ones, which were really what she had been looking for. They look exactly like the other ones, except some of the sequins on the toes light up, they're called "Twinkle Toes." She was completely thrilled with them, carried them through the store, and put them on in the car once we got out to the parking lot.

What made all of this so notable to me is that this is the first purchase where I completely, 100% do not like these shoes at all, but because they are what she wanted, I got them for her. She thinks they're just so great, and even though I struggle to find anything remotely appealing about these sneakers, I really get a kick out of the fact that she has such a strong opinion about them and I do like them because she likes them so much (and of course she thinks that Steve and I think they're just as beautiful as she thinks they are).

To give you an idea of how much she loves her new Twinkle Toes, I will just tell you that when I tucked her in for her nap, her shoes were NOT on her feet...

2 comments:

Aunt Erin said...

Yowza...those are some "stompin' shoes". Eventhough they're not your favorite, she'll love that you let her have her own "style". Looking forward to seeing you guys this weekend!

Mom said...

That's so funny and incredibly cute!!! I LOVE them!